How to Use Coconut Oil – 10 Easy Ways!

Share Button

If you ever wondered how to use coconut oil read on . . .

By now you’ve probably heard of some of the unique benefits of coconut oil. Coconut oil is a unique fat because it contains 50 percent lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in mother’s milk that supports healthy metabolism and is now being studied for its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial health-protecting properties.

It is also excellent for dry skin and hair and in my house we use coconut oil liberally both in the kitchen and bathroom. We prefer cold-pressed, organic extra-virgin coconut oil with a heavy coconut smell and taste.

Here are some of our favorite ways how to use coconut oil:

1. Make a delicious honey coconut oil spread:

Mix equal parts coconut oil and raw honey and a pinch of cinnamon to make a delicious spread for baked goods, pancakes, toast . . .

2. Make an herbed coconut oil:

Mix one cup coconut butter and a bunch of fresh herbs or assorted herbs (chives, basil, tarragon, cilantro, dill . . .). Blend in the food processor with the s blade until the herbs are finely minced and store in the refrigerator. Use on rice, baked potatoes, steamed vegetables . . .

3. Substitute coconut oil for butter in any recipe:

Use it in baking, sautéing, spread on mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, toast, popcorn . . .

4. Make a hot coconut oil treatment for your hair:

Warm coconut oil until liquid with a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Put on clean dry hair and cover with a warm towel. Leave on for 10-15 minutes and then shampoo out.

5. Use coconut oil instead of shaving cream:

Spread on desired areas and then smoothly shave away!

6. Use coconut oil as an anti-frizz hair styling product:

Rub a little bit of oil in the palms of your hands and then comb your fingers through your hair.

7. Use coconut oil as a make-up remover:

Apply coconut oil to your made up face with your fingertips and wash away make-up gently with a warm moist wash cloth.

8. Use coconut oil as a massage oil by itself or mix with other oils such olive, sesame, or almond.

9. Use coconut oil to occasionally season your wooden cutting boards and keep them looking new.

10. Use coconut as a natural deodorant:

Mix with some essential oil such as lemon or lavender and apply under arms.

I hope this list gave you some ideas on how to use coconut oil, but I know this list is just the tip of the iceberg! Please share your favorite ways to use coconut oil in the comments section below.

Share Button

1 Cydgloer { 06.27.12 at 11:09 pm }

In soups, to make French toast

2 Naturallyjoyousoils { 06.28.12 at 6:43 am }

I love coconut oil pulling…. Swish a tablespoon of oil around in my mouth for about 15 minutes (while in shower or running around after my girls) this allows toxins to release out through my cheeks… then spit! I feel so much more energised and cleansed on the days when I do it in the morning….

3 Janallan { 07.04.12 at 5:38 am }

I know this is a raw site but doesn’t coconut oil tolerate higher temperatures, as opposed to olive oil?

4 Stacy { 07.04.12 at 6:45 am }

There is info on you tube of a woman Doctor that discovered ingesting it reversed her husband’s Alzheimers, and it’s supposed to reverse other ailments also…worth watching.

5 Cc { 07.04.12 at 9:09 am }

Expand Coconut oil got me off of celebrex.I had been taking 200mgs aday for sciatica nerve pain.I started taking coconut oil everyday after reading about all the benefits of this miracle oil.It took less than a week for my pain to go away and it was severe,I have been pain medicine free now for 5 years. If interested about more info about coconut oil benefits Bruce Fifes book on the Miracle of Coconut oil will give you alot of info or just google the benefits of coconut oil for people and your animals to,because it really helped my dog with the pain that goes along with hip dysplasia.Thanks Cecilia for all your great newsletters. I love your name,that is also my name,but most people call me

6 Cecilia { 07.04.12 at 12:58 pm }

That you so much for sharing your amazing story, very inspiring. I always like meeting other Cecilias:)

7 Cecilia { 07.04.12 at 1:02 pm }

Yes definitely, very promising news. And it tastes so good!

8 Cecilia { 07.04.12 at 1:07 pm }

Here is the best chart I’ve ever seen on the smoke point of oils:

9 Cecilia { 07.04.12 at 1:09 pm }

I have heard of oil pulling with sesame seed oil, but not with coconut oil. Thanks for sharing!

10 Georga { 07.04.12 at 4:25 pm }

Thank you for the interesting info on coconut oil and the benefits accociated with alzheimers. I just made Quinoa Salad & used coconut oil…..gave it a creamier texture…yum!

11 Cecilia { 07.04.12 at 11:44 pm }

Hi Georga,

Sounds delicious. I love coconut oil with quinoa; I use it instead of butter. Thanks for sharing.

12 Moluvivi { 07.05.12 at 10:28 pm }

I read that you can use it as tooth paste by mixing equal parts of coconut oil and sodium bicarbonate, I have been using this mix and its great!

13 naturefriendly { 08.07.12 at 10:37 pm }

I use it every day for pain relief for Arthritis.
Some times add Fresh Ginger also ,tastes YUMM