How to Use Coconut Oil – 10 Easy Ways!
If you ever wondered how to use coconut oil read on . . .
By now you’ve probably heard of some of the unique benefits of coconut oil. Coconut oil is a unique fat because it contains 50 percent lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in mother’s milk that supports healthy metabolism and is now being studied for its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial health-protecting properties.
It is also excellent for dry skin and hair and in my house we use coconut oil liberally both in the kitchen and bathroom. We prefer cold-pressed, organic extra-virgin coconut oil with a heavy coconut smell and taste.
Here are some of our favorite ways how to use coconut oil:
1. Make a delicious honey coconut oil spread:
Mix equal parts coconut oil and raw honey and a pinch of cinnamon to make a delicious spread for baked goods, pancakes, toast . . .
2. Make an herbed coconut oil:
Mix one cup coconut butter and a bunch of fresh herbs or assorted herbs (chives, basil, tarragon, cilantro, dill . . .). Blend in the food processor with the s blade until the herbs are finely minced and store in the refrigerator. Use on rice, baked potatoes, steamed vegetables . . .
3. Substitute coconut oil for butter in any recipe:
Use it in baking, sautéing, spread on mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, toast, popcorn . . .
4. Make a hot coconut oil treatment for your hair:
Warm coconut oil until liquid with a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Put on clean dry hair and cover with a warm towel. Leave on for 10-15 minutes and then shampoo out.
5. Use coconut oil instead of shaving cream:
Spread on desired areas and then smoothly shave away!
6. Use coconut oil as an anti-frizz hair styling product:
Rub a little bit of oil in the palms of your hands and then comb your fingers through your hair.
7. Use coconut oil as a make-up remover:
Apply coconut oil to your made up face with your fingertips and wash away make-up gently with a warm moist wash cloth.
8. Use coconut oil as a massage oil by itself or mix with other oils such olive, sesame, or almond.
9. Use coconut oil to occasionally season your wooden cutting boards and keep them looking new.
10. Use coconut as a natural deodorant:
Mix with some essential oil such as lemon or lavender and apply under arms.
I hope this list gave you some ideas on how to use coconut oil, but I know this list is just the tip of the iceberg! Please share your favorite ways to use coconut oil in the comments section below.