Best Raw Food Books – My Two Favorites!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

I get asked a lot about the best raw food books that I recommend.  Although I have to say I haven’t met one raw food recipe book that I didn’t like, I do have have my two favorites and I’ll tell you why. Also, please make sure to share in the comments section your vote for the best raw food book and why you like it so much!

Becoming Raw

Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets

Brenda Davis RD and Vesanto Melina MS RD

Nutrition geeks rejoice! This book is chock full of nutritional information about the raw food diet. If you’ve ever asked (or been asked) how to get enough protein?, where to get B12, iron, and calcium?, what raw foods are unsafe to eat?, and can you really get all the nutrients you need from the raw food diet? This book answers all those questions and more! It also includes 50 raw food recipes that contain all the nutritional information about the recipe including calories, protein, fat, carbohydrate content and a complete vitamin and mineral nutritional analysis.

My favorite recipes from the book are: Sprouted Quinoa Tabouli, Thai Spring Rolls with Spicy Pecan Sauce, and Mango Pie with Coconut Crust. After reading this book, you will have a greater understanding of the nutritional needs on a raw food diet and you will be better equipped to answer any questions from family and friends. Yay!

Raw Food Made Easy

Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People, Revised Edition

By Jennifer Cornbleet

The Zen of raw food preparation! This is one of my favorite raw food recipe books because of ease of preparation and the availability of the ingredients in all the recipes. Even though the recipes in this book are simple, they do not sacrifice on taste one bit!

My favorite recipes are the Cream of Zucchini Soup, Ranch Dressing, Mediterranean Kale, and Key Lime Mousse. If you are new to raw foods and want to get started right away this book is for you. No fancy equipment required!

Here is a video of the Mediterranean Kale Recipe by the author of Raw Food Made Easy, Jennifer Cornbleet

Click here if you can’t see the video above

*A side note, in both books some of the recipes call for Tamari or Nama Shoyu and I prefer to substitute those two ingredients with  Organic Chickpea Miso or Sea Salt. Also, I usually substitute some of the sweetener called for in a recipe such as honey or maple syrup with stevia to cut out some of the sugar. But you see, that is the cool thing about recipes, they can give you a foundation and then you can make them your own!

What do you think? Did I get it right? What’s your favorite raw food recipe book?

P.S. The two links above are amazon affiliate links.

1 Raw.la - Raw Food in The News and Around The Web { 08.01.11 at 7:15 pm }

[…] Best Raw Food Books – My Two Favorites! […]

2 Janesevadar { 08.02.11 at 2:35 am }

Okay, I’m probably going to go out and buy Jennifer’s book after seeing the video demonstration.

3 Arpedkedarki { 08.02.11 at 3:52 am }

I like Rainbow Green Cuisine, Gabriel Cousens.  And, the Cafe Gratitude “cook” book.

4 Violetbleux { 08.02.11 at 4:32 am }

I have lots of raw food books but the first one I bought 6 years ago is still my favorite: Living Cuisine by Renee Loux Underkoffler.

5 catsat { 08.02.11 at 5:04 am }

I love The Raw Transformation: Energizing Your Life with Living Foods by Wendy Rudell. The recipes are easy and very good.

6 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:40 am }

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, a lot of people have told me how much they like Raw Food Made Easy as well ~ Cecilia

7 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:41 am }

I like both books as well. The Cafe Gratitude book has some awesome dessert recipes. Thanks for sharing. ~ Cecilia

8 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:43 am }

Thanks for sharing, am going to have to add that one to the “collection” It’s a really big one right? ~ Cecilia

9 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:45 am }

Thank you for the heads up, I haven’t seen this one, but I love the title. ~ Cecilia

10 Joe { 08.02.11 at 10:06 am }

I have both of these! but the one I like best and have used most in the past 7 years is Alissa Cohen’s Living on Live Food.

11 Janetbrunell { 08.02.11 at 11:46 am }

My favorite book is Raw Food Made Easy. For 1 or 2 people. The recipes are easy, quick and the ingredient list is manageable.

12 Darby1gil { 08.02.11 at 12:57 pm }

Jennifer’s book is great.  Also, “The Raw Gourmet” by Nomi Shannon is one of the best.  It was the first raw food book/recipe book I purchased, and I’ve never regretted it.  Simply, easy, great tasting recipes for one or more.

13 Piperj8 { 08.02.11 at 4:06 pm }

My two current favorites are Cafe Gratitude and Eating Without Heating by the Boutenko teens. A great book for introducing kids/teens to raw food delights.  Many blessings, Pip

14 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:18 pm }

Thanks for sharing Joe. It’s amazing the variety of raw food books we have, when I got into raw foods 10 years ago there wasn’t near the variety.

15 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:19 pm }

Hi Janet, this books seems to be a staple for many and especially those just starting out in raw foods. Thanks for sharing ~ Cecilia

16 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:20 pm }

Hi Jennifer, yes “The Raw Gourmet” is a great one and one of the first. It has stood the test of time. ~ Cecilia

17 Cecilia { 08.02.11 at 7:23 pm }

Hi Pip, the Cafe Gratitude book is great, I use it mainly for desserts or special occasions.  The Boutenko’s books are always very creative. Thanks for sharing. ~ Cecilia

18 Dolphin_vibes { 08.02.11 at 11:25 pm }

I have Jordan Maerin’s “Raw Foods for Busy People” as well as Jennifer Cornbleet’s “Raw Food Made Easy,” but to be honest I admit I tend to open the pages Jennifer Cornbleet’s “Raw for Dessert” (yum!) more than any other raw recipe book. – Joel

19 Cecilia { 08.04.11 at 10:44 pm }

Hi Dolphin-vibes,
Thanks for sharing, your confession is safe with us:)

20 Queeharambe { 08.06.11 at 12:40 pm }

Going Raw by: Judita Wignall.  Very easy to follow for beginners, and amazingly I had most of the ingredients the recipes called for so it didn’t require me to go shop for a load of things I didn’t have on hand.  Love it and still use it all the time.

21 Angelica { 08.15.11 at 7:11 pm }

My “bible” is Rawsome by Brigitte Mars!
Not only for the recipes, but there is so much nutritional information.

22 Raw Food Diet Plans { 09.09.11 at 7:47 pm }

The post was excellent and well written, although, the layout of the website doesnt appear to much this content.

23 Basontika Kobitar Mala { 11.22.12 at 11:46 am }

In a nutshell
this cookbook is for everyone. I
believe a large majority of people are mislead and misinformed when it comes to
nutrition and eating habits. In North America
we live in one of the most overweight places in the world. And I think a book
like this goes a long way in helping solve that problem.i am benefited by
purchasing this book so I suggest you that if you want to learn cooking please
collect this book from hearhttp://www.facepack.in?a_aid=shuvo701

24 Rawly { 08.26.14 at 7:51 pm }

Hey all can anyone give be the authors’ name for Cafe Gratitude?
Search Amazon and am unsure… As to which book it actually is!

Rawly!

25 Cecilia { 09.09.14 at 12:42 pm }

Terces Engelhart and the cookbook name is I Am Grateful. Here is my Amazon affiliate link: I Am Grateful: Recipes and Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitude
It is one of my favorites too! Especially the dessert section! Best Wishes – Cecilia