Top 3 Attitudes That Sabotage Your Health and Healing

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Frustarted Girl

*Disclaimer – This article is very general and is not meant to be a substitute for advice from your healthcare professional for your particular situation. Please consult a healthcare professional before changing your exercise or diet routine.

1. The “Only If” Attitude – Usually it’s about money and sounds something like this: If only I had enough money to go that wonderful out of state healing retreat, buy organic produce, see practitioner/healer X . . . Or sometimes it’s about circumstances: If only my family/partner ate more healthfully, if only I lived in a warmer climate, if only I didn’t have to work . . .

Now these reasons may be very valid reasons but they can also trick us into thinking that we need to postpone our healing or our health until everything is “just right” and this simply is just not true. A little mantra I like to say to myself is:

Healing Starts Now, Healing Starts From Within (deep breath)

No matter what our circumstances, we can start the healing process by taking a few minutes to go inward to connect with the healing power within through meditation and visualization.

We can also choose to do our best with our circumstances and the things we do have control of, such as getting enough sleep, getting out in the fresh air, exercise, focusing on positive feelings and thoughts of love gratitude and joy while releasing negative emotions and thoughts, nurturing and pampering ourselves . . .and many of these things are for free!

And even on a low budget there are ways to create an affordable healing routine. For example, you might not have money for a gym membership, Tai Chi, or Qigong class, but what about a video you could watch everyday? You may not be able to afford seeing practitioner X, but what about asking for a payment plan, a trade, or if they could refer you to someone more affordable. Maybe you cannot afford to be on a 100% raw food diet, but what about a 50% raw diet, or another therapeutic diet that is more affordable such as the Macrobiotic diet. . .(etc.)

2. The “I Am Only My Physical Body” Attitude – We are multifaceted beings that each have 4 major bodies: the physical body, spiritual body, emotional body, and mental body. Most people focus only on the physical aspect of healing and ignore the rest. An example of this, would be eating a healthy diet and taking all the right supplements, but not doing anything to reduce the amount of stress in their lives!

Here are some examples of different things you can do to address healing on multiple levels:

Taking care of the physical body includes: improving your diet, starting an exercise program, getting a massage, having a nice living area, going to bed earlier . . .

Taking care of your spiritual body includes: meditation, prayer, qigong, tai chi, energy healing, some types of yoga . . .

Taking care of your emotional body includes: positive friendships and intimate relationships, pampering yourself and doing things that bring you joy, expressing and voicing feelings as they come up, releasing negative emotions through different exercises or therapies, focusing on and cultivating positive emotions through affirmations and gratitude lists . . .

Taking care of your mental body includes: learning something new, reading a new book, being involved in a project that you find exciting and fulfilling, using affirmations and gratitude lists to keep your mind focused on the positive . . .

3. The “I’ve Tried it All” Attitude – The “I’ve tried it all” (and nothing worked) attitude is the most self sabotaging attitude because it denotes an attitude of hopeless and resignation. What I’ve found is that most people’s definition of trying it all, includes trying a lot of different things for a short period of time.

Healing can take time. Changing your diet for a few weeks does not count. Going to see an acupuncturist for a month does not count. I’m not saying every healing modality you choose to pursue is going to work for you, but it’s important to really give it some time before you make your decision. Of course, this time period needs to be figured out between you and a health professional, but I would guess that most alternative therapies take at least 3 months, 6 months, or even a year to really see a difference.

Most people are still looking for the “magic pill” that will instantly heal them overnight and, yes, some medicines can do this in emergency situations, but when healing a chronic condition it usually takes a comprehensive holistic approach that requires commitment, dedication, effort, and time!

So my advice, don’t give up! And if all else fails remember:

Healing Starts Now, Healing Starts From Within (deep breath)

Comments are welcome below 🙂

P.S. Just a heads up that the What do Raw Fooder’s Eat, E-book special with the 400 dollars worth in bonuses is no longer going to be available after July 26th. Check out what people are saying about it here:

1 shweta { 07.22.11 at 11:02 pm }

Awesome article

2 And the Winner of the Best Link Love Website is… | Glenda the Good Foodie's Blog { 07.22.11 at 4:13 pm }

[…] Link to Link Love Winner […]

3 LauraBruno { 07.22.11 at 11:15 pm }

Great article!

4 Raw.la - Raw Food in The News and Around The Web { 07.22.11 at 4:30 pm }

[…] Top 3 Attitudes That Sabotage Your Health and Healing […]

5 Lgendron { 07.22.11 at 11:36 pm }

The article was right on for my feeling of giving up, nothing works. I had started a yoga class, belly dancing, drum classes and felt like quitting all today; however you have given me hope not to quit, to keep going on until success in one way or another is acheived. Thank you.

6 Carol T { 07.23.11 at 12:03 am }

Great pep talk!  We need to be reminded of these self-sabotaging attitudes….and the remedies.  It really picked me up today.

7 Jan { 07.23.11 at 12:24 am }

Right now I am doing all of the above. It takes discipline, but once I got in to the groove it is easy to follow. A tip, I have a calendar reminder on my cell phone that goes off each morning to remind me to exercise. I will add a note to my daily reminder: Healing starts now, healing starts from within (deep breathe).

8 Marina { 07.23.11 at 12:54 am }

I plan on forwarding to many of my clients & friends.. Great information.. Thank you SO Much 🙂

9 Erviliza { 07.23.11 at 1:49 am }

Thank you so much.This sets me off to a more positive state today…have been an off and on raw vegan for quite sometime and at this point I intend to be more consistent.Seems like there is always some silly excuse to put things off. Thanks for pointing out that NOW is the key word. 😉

10 Cecilia { 07.23.11 at 4:52 am }

Thank You!

11 Cecilia { 07.23.11 at 4:53 am }

Thanks Laura, means a lot coming from you:)

12 Cecilia { 07.23.11 at 4:54 am }

Hi Lgendron that is wonderful, thanks for sharing. The belly dancing sounds fantastic!

13 Cecilia { 07.23.11 at 4:55 am }

Carol, that is wonderful. We all need reminders once in awhile!

14 Cecilia { 07.23.11 at 4:58 am }

Hi Jan, that is such a great idea to set a reminder. I heard Tony Robbins say something about how discipline actually creates freedom. Thank you for sharing.

15 Cecilia { 07.23.11 at 5:00 am }

As always, thank you Marina. You are an amazing example of someone who manages to find balance on all levels. You are very inspiring!

16 Cecilia { 07.23.11 at 5:03 am }

Erviliza, I’m glad this article made an impact. Yes, there is power in embracing the Now! Have a great weekend! ~ Cecilia

17 Trish Ward { 07.23.11 at 6:59 am }

Nobody is likely to be able to change their whole lifestyle at once and so if we just pick out a few of your steps to start with, and gradually add others, it will become simpler.  Thankyou

18 Alixbr { 07.23.11 at 8:02 am }

So true !
Good to hear it again.
Thank you.

19 Sheila { 07.23.11 at 3:58 pm }

Great article.  Thank you for sharing.

20 Flowerchi { 07.24.11 at 11:13 am }

Very insightful article – thank you!

The emotional aspect of physical healing is so easily overlooked, and to me it’s the key, though everything you mention is important. We can have a pristine diet, take handfuls of vitamins and exercise our buns off ( while breathing deeply and drinking enough water to relaunch the ark) all to little or no effect if we’re not engaged emotionally in a positive way. It’s not so much the “what” but how I feel about it (and myself) that changes the tide.

21 Nels364 { 07.24.11 at 1:16 pm }

Hello:  An excellent article.  However, consumers have to have more tools in order to determine whether a healing alternative really works or whether the practitioner is only making recommendations that pays his bills.  “Experts” charge a lot of money for being “experts,” but, I often find there’s no expertise–particularly with allopathic MDs.  In the meantime, I’ve lost what few dollars I have to gain healthcare advice and insight that I never receive. To stop this cycle of paying for lacking expertise, educate yourself–and, become more active in your own healthcare.  I urge everyone that even if they can afford professional advice –to take responsibility for their healthcare.  Read and do research.  Finally, as this article suggests, ALL aspects of your health have to be addressed at the same time, doing just one or two isn’t going to effect the changes you need, especially if you suffer chronic conditions like me.  The trick is “knowing,” knowing yourself, your body, the clues you gain from reading and study about diseases and symptoms and treatments (I like the food treatments the best–they don’t cost much to do).  Once you know as much as possible about a healing modality, know how long it will take to work by researching various sources, then keep the faith and belief that it will work.  Intention–is also a key factor in getting well.

22 Cecilia { 07.25.11 at 4:56 am }

Hi Trish, so true! I think it is a life long journey. A journey of 1000 miles starts with the 1st step! Thanks for sharing. ~ Cecilia

23 Cecilia { 07.25.11 at 4:58 am }

Hi Sheila,

You’re welcome, thanks for stopping by!

~ Cecilia

24 Cecilia { 07.25.11 at 4:58 am }

25 Cecilia { 07.25.11 at 5:03 am }

Hi Flowerchi,
The non physical aspects of life such as thoughts and feelings do effect our health. Just because we can’t see them, doesn’t mean that they don’t exist as powerful forces in our lives. Changing our diet is easier because we can make choices based on what we see, taste, and smell. A lot of our thoughts and feelings are unconscious and sometimes we can be stuck in a negative thought pattern and not even realize it. Many people overlook the emotional aspect, I am so glad that you realize
how important it is. It has taken me a long time to realize it (and still learning)! ~ Cecilia

26 Cecilia { 07.25.11 at 5:11 am }

I couldn’t agree more, self education is very important, good point.
~ Cecilia