Mineral Vegetable Broth – To Keep You Warm!

bowl of beet mineral broth

*Above is a picture of some mineral vegetable broth I made with the left over juice pulp of celery, carrot, and beet juice. It was a beautiful red orange color that I then sprinkled with dulse flakes.

Last November I wrote a post about how to stay warm on the raw food diet and in the post I explained how I make mineral vegetable broth full of essential nutrients and electrolytes. The original post elicited a positive response and a few questions from readers, so now that the weather is cooling down a bit I decided to make a short video about how I make the (now famous!) mineral vegetable broth.

Click here if you can’t see the vegetable broth video above.

I’ve experimented with making mineral broths many different ways and I’ve found that they turn out the best when I make sure the broth has sweet, spicy, and salty elements.

Choose 3 or more from each category:

Spicy Elements

*Onions
Leeks
Ginger
Garlic
Scallions
Spicy Peppers (use sparingly)
Bay leaves
Thyme
Oregano
Rosemary

Salty Elements

*Kombu Seaweed
*Celery
Shitake Mushrooms
Miso Paste (optional)
Chard
Parsley
Cilantro
Kale
Collards
(any greens will do with the exception of dandelion greens which can make the broth too bitter)

You can also add any culinary or medicinal herb as well!

*Essential

Directions:

Rough chop the vegetables and put them in a large pot of water. Add a few sprigs of herbs, a few bay leaves, and at least 2-5 good sized pieces of seaweed. Kombu and Wakame work best, but any seaweed will do. Let the pot come to a boil and then simmer on low for at least 3 hours. You can then strain the broth and add a sprinkle of salt if desired. For a really clear broth you can use a sprout bag to strain it after it has cooled. Sip the warm broth like tea or use it as a base to make cooked vegetable soups and grain dishes. You can also freeze the broth to defrost for later.

Hope you enjoyed this recipe and stay warm!

1 CatalinaMaria { 10.07.10 at 9:15 am }

Is this a raw food?

2 Cecilia { 10.07.10 at 4:26 pm }

Hi Catalina Maria,

Mineral broth is not a raw food, but it is a healthy food and great for those with compromised digestive systems. Water boils at 212 degrees F when raw foods are foods that have not been heated above 118 degrees F.

Best,

3 Tom { 10.11.10 at 5:37 pm }

This is great : ) I was going to do a cleanse and you just gave me an idea for doing a fast on veggie broth. Will the heat destroy any of the nutrients?

Tom

4 BlessedMama { 10.11.10 at 7:47 pm }

Sounds delicious! I love the idea of this broth, and it sounds easy to make.

5 Cecilia { 10.14.10 at 4:21 am }

Hi Tom,
B1, or thiamine, is highly sensitive to heat, other somewhat heat sensitive vitamins include A, D, C, E and pantothenic acid. Although not all vitamins and minerals will be lost during the cooking process (especially since if you make mineral broth you will be drinking the water that that the veggies were cooked in) in my opinion, it is probably a good idea to include fresh raw veggies and their juices as well into any well rounded balanced diet. -C

6 Cecilia { 10.14.10 at 4:25 am }

Hi Blessed Mama!
Nice to hear from you again. I’m glad you like the idea of the broth. I think its fairly easy to make, especially if you have a big strainer. Let me know how it goes!
Best Wishes,

7 Tom { 10.17.10 at 10:38 pm }

Thanks Cecilia. I should expect some nutrient lose will occur during heating but it’s the change in my diet starting with your mineral broth that will get me going in the right direction : )

8 Salt Water Cleanse { 10.19.10 at 7:30 pm }

I’m so love this blog, already bookmarked it! Thanks.

9 Cecilia { 10.22.10 at 11:09 pm }

Hi Tom, absolutely. Not all cooked foods are created equal, there are many healthy cooked food options! Good luck to you.

10 Susan { 03.16.11 at 1:10 pm }

I’m new to the site and just beginning my raw diet. I have been wondering about how I will stay warm on cold days with this diet. I have used warm water to make soups in my OLD vitamix and, while they are yummy, they aren’t exactly warm or warming. Today is rainy and chilly and I am just plain cold. This will definitely warm me up. Thanks so much!

11 Cecilia { 07.27.11 at 1:34 am }

I’m glad you enjoyed this recipe. Hope it helps!
~ Cecilia

12 Caitlyn { 08.05.11 at 9:46 pm }

I just found the most amazing lotion ever, Nutrapelle !!
It is composed of only COLD PRESSED natural, plant oils and alovera.  The oils aren’t heated up so ALL the nutriens are still in the lotion and you can definitely tell. My skin is so healthy now and it totally healed my sunburn.
You all have to get this it’s the best i’ve EVER found and I’ve been in surch of a “natural” lotion for a long time.
I bought it online at
nutrapelle.com

13 Cecilia { 08.06.11 at 12:53 am }

________________________________

14 Cooking With Quinoa – 2 Simple Recipes | Raw Glow Blog { 06.11.12 at 3:05 pm }

[...] cups water or mineral broth 1 cup quinoa 1 kombu strip or a sprinkle of kelp granules 1-2 baby leeks chopped, about a ¼ of a [...]

15 Raw Carrot Pulp Recipes - Don't Throw it Away! | Raw Glow Blog { 01.16.13 at 9:24 pm }

[...] Making Mineral Broth With Carrot Pulp [...]