How to Enjoy Drinking More Water

citrus mint water

Now that summer is near, most of us need to be drinking more water to stay hydrated. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.  According to Dr. F. Batmanghelidj who wrote the book, “Your Bodies Many Cries for Water” he believes that Unintentional Chronic Dehydration (UCD) contributes to and even produces pain and many degenerative diseases that can be prevented and treated by increasing water intake on a regular basis such as preventing heartburn, backpain, migranes, asthma, and other ailments. Click here to learn more about his groundbreaking work .

There is so much information out there about how much water we should be drinking a day and everyone’s needs is going are going to vary a bit , some say 64 ounces a day (8 ounces 8 times a day), some say more than that. According to the Mayo Clinic website  a good rule of thumb is to drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day.

Regardless of what the experts say I bet most of us could feel better if we drank more water, but if you are like me you are not always motivated to drink enough water. I’m not a fan of plain water, but luckily I’ve found a way to make it taste really good so that I actually enjoy drinking it! Here’s my simple recipe:

Citrus Mint Water

You can use a big glass water pitcher or make it one glass at a time.

Add a few slices of one or a combination of the following fruits: apple, lime, lemon, orange, grapefruit, and/or cucumber and add them into your glass or water pitcher.

Then add a sprig of fresh mint.

To make it over the top, you can add a few drops of liquid stevia, my favorite is Sweetleaf’s brand Lemon Drop, naturally flavored Stevia.

I can’t wait until our stevia plants start growing and then I’ll add a few stevia leaves to the water to replace the liquid stevia.

Make it a glass at a time if you want it at room temperature, or put the pitcher in the refrigerator and make sure you drink it in one or two days at most before the fruits go bad.

For a fizzy soda type drink you can use natural sparkling mineral water, which should help you kick the soda habit forever!

It tastes so good, especially with the stevia, I’ve never enjoyed drinking water more and I’ve never felt so hydrated.

Enjoy!

1 Raw.la - Raw Food in The News and Around The Web { 05.29.10 at 8:15 pm }

[…] How to Enjoy Drinking More Water […]

2 Cari { 05.30.10 at 12:31 pm }

Thanks for the great article. This really came up for me yesterday. After the day was done I realized I'd had a lot of freshly made juice but no water. Perfect timing, thank you!

What is the best way to get CLEAN water? We have a filter in our fridge but I doubt that is good enough. I investigated water filters that fit under the sink and they can go up to $800. Is a brita a better, cheaper option? I honestly don't love the idea of buying the plastic jug and then all those filters, eco speaking.

3 Cecilia { 05.31.10 at 4:31 am }

Hi Cari, there are so many options for water filters and they can get expensive. I think Reverse Osmosis is one of the best ways to filter your water, there used to be lower priced system at Costco but I haven't checked in awhile. If the budget is super tight, I know that Aquasana has a decent affordable countertop drinking water filter system that connects to your sink. Let me know what you discover:)

4 Bridget McArthur { 06.19.10 at 3:10 pm }

I love “ritzing” up my water. During the spring, summer, and fall we have a great farmers market and one organic herb stand is so perfect it makes the angels sing LOL. I get a several variates of mint and lemon balm. I muddle it a bit before I add the water.

I have not tried putting in apples and that sounds SO good!!!!!!

5 Cecilia { 06.20.10 at 2:33 am }

Lemon balm sounds divine, I just started growing lemon verbana, that would probably work as well. Good idea to muddle them first.
Thanks for sharing! -C

6 Swayze { 06.22.10 at 9:11 pm }

I never could do the “8 ounces 8 times per day” thing, but 4 liters 4 times per day is great. I like to drink one each morning after I wake up and then 3 more before each meal. My digestion is awesome when I make sure to drink water before each meal, even on a low fat, high fruit raw diet! :)

Swayze

7 refrigerator water filters { 01.29.12 at 9:40 pm }

Sometimes getting enough water can be a challenge. This is due to a lot of factors, but many times it is because the taste of the water in our homes isn’t very good.  Water filters can be a good way to better the taste of water in your home.