Two Light Raw Food Recipes with Fermented Vegetables

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

seaweed salad

I don’t usually buy too many prepared raw foods in the super market but there are two delicious and healthy, might I add, items that I just couldn’t pass up. One of them is an organic raw fermented no fat salad dressing by Zukay, they have 6 flavors and Sweet Onion Basil is my favorite. Because the dressings have little or no fat, in my opinion, they need some oil or blended avocado or nuts mixed into them. In this recipe I used the Sweet Onion Basil dressing by Zukay and some hemp oil to make a lovely seaweed salad. If your local natural food grocery store does not carry Zukay products, they are also available online at www.zukay.com

Seaweed Salad with Sweet Onion Basil Dressing

2 cups half moon sliced English cucumbers. I like to use the ceramic mandoline.
½ cup soaked and rinsed Emerald Cove Brand Wakame Seaweed (about 1/3 a cup before hydrated)
¼ of a large avocado or one half of a small avocado diced
½ of a cup chopped cilantro
2 green onions chopped
2 heaping tablespoons ground raw sesame seeds (no hulls) You can grind the sesame seeds in a vitamix , food processor, or use a mortar and pestle.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl so that the avocado gets smashed a little.

Dressing

4 tablespoons Zukay Sweet Onion Basil Salad Dressing
1 tablespoon hemp seed oil
Pinch of cayenne to taste

Mix dressing ingredients in a bowl and pour over salad. Makes 1-2 servings.

This next recipe is a recipe for a quick raw blended soup. To make  it, “over the top” top it with Farmhouse Smoked Jalapeño Sauerkraut available at some Whole Foods in Northern California.  Farmhouse Sauerkraut is the best sauerkraut I have encountered so far, they have three flavors: Apple Fennel, Smoked Jalapeño, and Classic Caraway. To learn more about Farmhouse Sauerkraut go to: www.farmhouseculture.com/

fiesta soup

Fiesta Soup

1 cup carrot juice (I cheated and used store bought carrot juice from the refrigerated section, not raw, but quick)
¼ an avocado
Juice from 1 lime or lemon
Small handful cilantro
2 green onions
½ teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or less

Blend the ingredients in a blender to make a soup. Garnish with green onion, cilantro, bell pepper, avocado, and to make  it, “over the top” top it with Farm house smoked jalapeño sauerkraut or homemade or another brand of raw sauerkraut.  Makes 1 serving.

Enjoy and Happy Spring!

What  prepared raw foods do you like? Please share in the comments section below.

1 BlessedMama { 04.23.10 at 3:31 pm }

Two very healthy sounding and yummy tasting recipes! I also live in Northern California. I wonder if we're close to each other.

2 James Reno { 05.01.10 at 1:36 pm }

Thanks for the great and healthy recipes. I enjoy your blog and check in frequently!

James Reno
Raw-Food-Repair.com

3 Cecilia { 05.03.10 at 11:36 am }

Hi Blessed Mama,

Thank you glad you liked the recipes. I'm in Sonoma County where are you?
-C

4 Cecilia { 05.03.10 at 11:37 am }

Hi James,

Thanks for your support. Great website name!

-C

5 James Reno { 05.04.10 at 1:52 pm }

Hi Cedilia. Wine country, sounds great! I am in the Windy City (Chicago)! Keep up the great work!

James
Raw-Food-Repair

6 Cecilia { 05.04.10 at 2:16 pm }

Hi James,

My sis is in Chicago, love it in the summer. Here are my pics from last years trip:

Best,

7 BlessedMama { 05.07.10 at 8:06 am }

I live in Sacramento!  It's so cool when bloggers that I read are close.  I've discovered that a couple of times.  I always think of bloggers as “over there.”  Well, you're doing a great job on yours.  Have a wonderful weekend.

8 BlessedMama { 05.07.10 at 3:06 pm }

9 1 Video - How to Make Raw Fermented Vegetables - 3 Awesome blog post on Raw Fermented Vegetables - 3 Raw Fermented Vegetable Recipes | Yogi Zen Dude { 05.22.10 at 5:43 pm }

[…] Two Light Raw Food Recipes with Fermented Vegetables | Raw Glow Blog […]

10 Cecilia { 09.07.10 at 1:40 am }

I know this late, but thank you for your support! How’s the raw food scene in Sacramento?

11 BlessedMama { 09.10.10 at 6:41 am }

There are a couple of places to check out, but we’re really expanding with just the plain ol’ vegan restaurants.

Take care!

12 Cecilia { 09.22.10 at 5:59 pm }

Thanks for sharing. I love a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant or a good restaurant with veggie options. My favorites are The Plant and Millenium in San Francisco.

13 Anonymous { 11.24.10 at 5:42 am }

To the delight of the fast food industry, quick food options have become engrained in the mind of the consumer as a choice between convenience and nutrition. For students and employed adults who don’t have time to prepare meals, convenience inevitably wins out almost every time.