Avoiding Appendicitis: The Squatting Theory

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

digestive system

Disclaimer: this post is for educational purposes only and is about pooping. Read at your own discretion.

As you might know from a recent post my husband just had his appendix removed, and this has lead me to wonder why appendixes get infected in the first place. With a  little research I learned that appendicitis is a disease of the western world and was virtually non existent until the invention of the porcelain sitting toilet 150 years ago. Throughout history human beings have always squatted for bodily functions and 2 thirds of adults in the world continue to use squat toilets all of their lives.

According to Jonathan Isbit from Nature’s Platform when humans don’t squat there can be possible complications caused by fecal stagnation due to incomplete evacuation. He believes a polluted colon can be prone to cancer, diverticulosis, appendicitis, colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome.

I would also assume that a high fiber diet full of lots of fruits and vegetables would also help with elimination and avoiding this problem as well.

Although I would tend to agree that squatting is the healthiest way, living in today’s modern western society makes it a difficult task. The easiest and safest solution I have seen so far is the health step which is a step you can put under your toilet to help mimic the squat position and assist in elimination. It’s discreet, won’t break your toilet seat, and there is no danger of falling or loosing balance like I have seen with some other methods.

Just thought I would put the information out there!

Further Reading:

1 Melinda { 02.12.10 at 6:09 am }

Hmm. Interesting. That step sure is expensive though! I'm thinking I might try just using the small plastic step stool I have to elevate my feet. No extra funds right now. Thanks for sharing! Hope your beloved is home and resting comfortably now.

2 Wellnesswiz { 02.12.10 at 6:38 am }

My colon hydrotherapist introduced me to this concept and I've been using s small step stool (since I already owned it) to mimic squatting. It's working for me. Another way to help complete elimination is by drinking genuine Kangen water.

3 Cecilia { 02.12.10 at 11:47 am }

Hi Wellnesswiz, thank you for sharing. What is Kangen water and where can we get more information about it?
Peace,

4 Cecilia { 02.12.10 at 11:50 am }

Hi Melinda,
It is expensive, but it might be worth it in the long run. Thank you for the well wishes for my husband not only is he doing better, but he is motivated to eat healthier, and I'm thrilled:)

5 Wellnesswiz { 02.12.10 at 4:52 pm }

Kangen water (Japanese for back to origin) is tap water that has been ionized through a special machine licensed in Japan as a medical device. It has the same properties as water from Lourdes, France where people line up to drink these special waters known to be healing. The properties they share in common are: 1) highly alkaline (pH or potential hydrogen registers 8.5 to 9.5 on the pH scale — 7 is neutral; under 7 is acid and over 7 is alkaline), 2) contains numerous anti-oxidants in the form of free electrons (ORP oxidation reduction potential readings of -300 to -800 — like golf scores, the more negative the better), and 3) is restructured into micro-clusters and hexagonal shape — just like snow flakes. Let me explain the advantages of each property.

Diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, candida thrive in an acid environment. The typical American diet of animal proteins and processed carbohydrates is highly acid forming. Drinking alkaline water is one of the fastest ways to alkalize the body and neutralize this acid waste.

Stress creates free radicals in the body which mutate cells, especially DNA. We call this oxidation. Oxidation, just like when metals rust or fruits turn brown, is responsible for aging and disease. Anti-oxidants contribute a free electron that stabilize the free radicals so that they no longer cause damage.

Finally all biological organisms prefer hexagonal-shaped water. Tap water as well as most bottled and filtered water is pentagonal shaped and the molecules congregate in large clusters of from 15 to 100. Kangen water forms groups of 4-6 molecules which means that this water can more easily penetrate the cells thus transporting nutrients in and waste products out.

Genuine Kangen water has been shown in numerous scientific studies to enhance health. Dr. Shinya, the man who developed colonoscopy procedures, has some YouTube videos showing how Kangen water can clean the colon and improve health. He recommends it in his best selling book, The Enzyme Factor.

Be careful as you do more research as there are many copy-cats who violate the trademarked name of Kangen water.

I hesitate to provide any websites. So if you're still curious after this lengthy explanation, please contact me directly and I'll send you them.

6 Time As Wine { 02.12.10 at 5:24 pm }

Wow, I never thought that sitting toilet could cause a problem to our health. I agree with Melinda, some small modifications which require no additional budget could work 🙂

7 melindamc { 02.13.10 at 1:08 am }

That's wonderful Cecelia! Yes, a hospital stay can be a powerful motivator. A shame that's what it takes for us sometimes (speaking from personal here). Cecelia, not sure where else I would post this, just want to say your young coco video is the reason I did not permanently give up on eating young cocos. I'm just not comfortable slinging cleavers around. Every time I do it your way it blows me away how easy it can be. Many, many thanks – you are my young coco savior – and just to tie in, I wonder what the properties of coco water are compared to kangen water that wellnesswiz describes. I bet it would be helpful too. And again, on uber tight budget now, I'm afraid to research price of kangen water machine.

8 Cecilia { 02.13.10 at 5:18 pm }

Hi Melinda,
Yes, sometimes it takes a crisis for us to change! I'm so glad the coconut video helped you out. I was drinking Thai young coconut water the other day and realized how sickly sweet it can be. I really miss the coconut water I have had in the Caribbean and Hawaii where it was much less sweet and more refreshing. I wish I could find them here in Cali. I think the Thai young coconut water would have too much sugar to replace drinking water IMO.

9 Cecilia { 02.13.10 at 5:21 pm }

Wow, very interesting. Thank you for the lengthy explanation. I look forward to researching Kangen water further.
Best,

10 Cecilia { 02.13.10 at 5:24 pm }

Hi Henry,
Thank you visiting my blog. I think when you compare how we live now compared to our early ancestors there are probably a lot of things we could learn and perhaps try to emulate.
Best Wishes,

11 randyhaff { 02.14.10 at 2:13 pm }

I would have to agree thats its more diet related. I had a bout with diverticulitis and had to have a section of colon removed and my appendics was enflamed so they removed that also. A poor diet causes most of our health problems. There is no doubt about it.

12 Cecilia { 02.15.10 at 1:16 pm }

Hi Randy,
Thanks for sharing. Hope you are doing better.
Best Wishes,

13 angel { 02.19.10 at 10:12 pm }

I use the trash can in my bathroom. Just put my feet up on it. Works everytime. I would like to get something a little more sturdy, but for now it will doo doo : D

14 sue { 02.22.10 at 10:01 am }

I use a Seiza Bench (for meditation) and it is perfect! Probably can find these at garage sales…
INTERESTING: my father had his appendix removed and in his 70's he had colon cancer…..this may be believable.
sue

15 Cecilia { 02.22.10 at 12:52 pm }

Hi Sue,
Thanks for sharing.
-Cecilia

16 sue { 02.22.10 at 5:01 pm }

sue

17 Cecilia { 02.22.10 at 7:52 pm }

Hi Sue,
Thanks for sharing.
-Cecilia

18 salt-water-cleanse { 11.15.10 at 8:26 am }

Thanks for information, I’ll always keep updated here!

19 diverticulitis diet { 07.13.11 at 4:45 am }

The diet for a diverticulitis patient depends upon the severity of the condition. The diverticulitis attack you get can be mild, severe or a very light one. Depending on this and your previous health record, a medical
practitioner will advise you on the proper diet.
diverticulitis diet

20 Rmfreimuth { 08.26.11 at 10:17 pm }

I had mine remove at 12 years old and we had a squat toilet so it did not came from that plus the family had a very healthy diet.!!!!