The Keitt Mango: The Undiscovered California Mango

Share Button

Keitt Mango Sign

Many people don’t realize that most of the mangoes in the grocery store are hot water treated (PDF) before they arrive to the U.S. Even Though the temperature of the water is not enough to “cook” the mango, I notice that mangoes imported to the U.S. are less vibrant looking and fresh in flavor. I didn’t know mangoes could taste so vibrant until I traveled to Hawaii and tasted their locally grown mangoes. They were amazing, full of so much juice and flavor. They had tanginess to them that I really missed upon returning home. I thought I would have to return to Hawaii for really great mangos until my friend John  told me about the Keitt mango. Not to be confused with the more commonly available Kent mango, the Keitt Mango is grown in California and available in supermarkets from late August to September. In my opinion it is the most fragrant, juicy, tangy, and delicious mango available in the States! Most people pass up Keitt mangoes because they think they are unripe due to their green skins.

Green Keitt Mangos

The skin of the Keitt mango stays green even when it’s fully ripe! Choosing a Keitt mango is like choosing an avocado, it should yield to gentle pressure but not be too mushy. Here are some other things you should know about the Keitt mango:

• It is usually twice the size on a regular mango,  if a recipe calls for 1 mango use half of a Keitt
  • The Keitt is less stringy that most common varieties of mango
  • The Keitt is available organic
  • The Keitt mangoes only come around once a year, so stock up and enjoy!
    They are great for freezing and can be used at another date.

For more information about the Keitt, here are two great articles:
My Favorite Mango: The California Keitt
Produce Oasis: Facts about the Keitt Mango

Inside of a Keitt Mango

We were experiencing a heat wave a week ago and this recipe was a refreshing treat:

Keitt Mango Kefir Smoothie

½ Keitt mango cubed (or 1 regular mango cubed)
1 cup coconut kefir
1 pinch of white stevia powder or sweetener of choice
handful of ice

Blend in the blender until smooth! Enjoy!

Delicious!

Share Button

1 Chuck { 09.11.09 at 6:38 am }

I got some GREAT mangoes last September — they were by far the best mangoes I've had in the U.S. But when I went back to the store a few weeks later, the mangoes weren't anywhere near as good. Now I know why! Thanks for the great info. :)

2 Cecilia { 09.11.09 at 9:04 am }

That's the thing about local in season fruit, you have to enjoy it while it lasts:) Glad you enjoyed the info.

3 Chuck { 09.11.09 at 1:38 pm }

4 Cecilia { 09.11.09 at 4:04 pm }

5 Crave! at Work { 09.27.10 at 7:44 am }

Excellent article! We shared this on our Facebook page because you’re right, so many people pass up the Keitt mango!

6 Cecilia { 09.28.10 at 6:58 am }

Thank you for sharing the page! I’m so glad you are a fan of the Keitt mango. Thanks for the reminder, I better get some more before the season is over!

7 Syvia Dhenin { 12.26.13 at 10:35 am }

I love Keitt mangoes and cannot find them in California. Where can I buy them? I want my California friends to have them, especially as they come from California. The ones I have had came from Israel to England. I think Californiana should be able to have their own local BEST variety.

8 Cecilia { 12.26.13 at 11:11 am }

Hi Syvia,
You can only find the Keitt Mango in California when they are in season in late August, early Septmember. When they are in season you will find them in almost any grocery store. Thanks for stopping by!

Best Wishes,