Your Guide to Making Raw Young Coconut Kefir

strawberrykefirshake

I first learned about kefir about 10 years ago from The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates.

10 years ago I was making it out of goats milk and soy milk. Now I much prefer to make it out of coconut milk or young coconut meat.

According to Donna Gates, Kefir is a health promoting food and it has been traditionally consumed in Russia and the Middle East for thousands of years with good results. It’s a natural probiotic source that can promote a healthy digestive system.  Also, because of kefir’s vitamins, minerals, easy to digest proteins, beneficial bacterias, and yeasts, it contributes to a healthy immune system as well.

Click here to read more about kefir’s benefits. It’s the best article I’ve found on Kefir so far.

Now for the fun stuff: How to make it!

coconutkefir

My favorite is to make it out of young coconut meat and the young coconut water.  It’s rather simple to make young coconut kefir:

•  Take the meat from about 4-6 young coconuts and then blend the meat in a blender with some water or young coconut water until you reach a pudding consistency. (Make sure that the meat and water are not pink, purple, or brown. Think bright white meat and clear liquid. )
  • Put the mixture in a sealed quart sized mason jar with extra room at the top. (It will expand as it ferments)
  • With a sterilized spoon mix a packet of Body Ecology’s Kefir starter in a little warm water and then mix it into the coconut mixture. Seal the mason jar and let it ferment for 24-36 hours. It is best for it to ferment around 70 to 75 degrees F. I put mine near the dehydrator, if it is running, for some extra warmth, or you can put it in an insulated cooler. The longer it ferments the more sour it will get.
  • Store it in the refrigerator. The final product should be white and delicious with stevia, honey, fresh fruit, or blended with fruit in a blender.
  • If is pink or purple or anything but white please discard.

Click here to learn how to safely open up young coconuts

Easier and Less Expensive Version

I soon realized that due to the cost of young coconuts that I wasn’t going to be able to make young coconut kefir regularly! So I tried making it with Turtle Mountain’s Coconut Milk, which is pretty much just a watered down version of coconut milk.  I’m sure you could make your own milk with brown coconuts or use watered down bottled coconut milk.  I used the original flavor which has some evaporated cane juice that the beneficial bacteria just love. Use the same directions as above using the coconut milk as a base.  Instead of making a creamy kefir it makes a drinkable probiotic liquid and is a great base for smoothies.

You can make kefir just out of the young coconut water as well! Probiotics never tasted so good:)

Click here to get the kefir packets

FYI: I remember reading that the packets might contain trace amounts of dairy.

Instead of using the packets you can use the kefir grains directly which is the most economical way to go, because if taken care of, they last forever and actually multiply!

You can get the kefir grains from here

If you want to use the grains,  here is a great article on how to get started

The reason I don’t use the grains is because with most of my kitchen projects such as with my kombucha and rice bran pickling experiments, I get really excited at first and then I loose interest and have a huge science experiment I’m not sure what to do with! The packets allow me the flexibility to not make kefir for awhile and then start up again when the mood strikes:)

Here’s a simple recipe using kefir I made just yesterday:

Strawberry Nectarine Kefir Sorbet

kefirsorbet

1 and ½ cup frozen strawberries
½ cups coconut kefir
½ a nectarine
1 pinch stevia powder
seeds from 1 vanilla bean* optional

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender using a tamper. Blend less for a sorbet, blend more for more for a shake. Garnish with fresh fruit and bee pollen. I added bee pollen, wheat germ, and drizzled with blackstrap molasses. It felt like a sundae:)

kefirsundae

Blending kefir with any fruit in a smoothie tastes great. My favorite with kefir are strawberries and blueberries.

Click here for more kefir recipes

If you liked this post you might like my young coconut yogurt post as well!

Happy Fermenting!

1 Australian Jarrah Bee Pollen | Raw Glow Blog { 08.15.09 at 3:25 pm }

[…] also sprinkle it on top of homemade coconut kefir (I’ll post my recipe for coconut kefir later) and blueberries as a super healthy and delicious snack. Not to mention […]

2 haleygirl { 08.16.09 at 10:57 am }

Those photos are making me hungry! Have you tried Turtle Mountain's So Delicious coconut milk kefir? It's really very tasty, is very convenient, and has all the nutritional benefits of dairy kefir.

3 Cecilia { 08.16.09 at 3:46 pm }

Haleygirl,
Thanks for the heads up on Turtle Mountain's kefir, I hadn't even heard about it yet. Here is the link for it: http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/coconut_
What a great way to introduce people to kerfir!

4 The Keitt Mango: The Undiscovered California Mango | Raw Glow Blog { 09.05.09 at 7:21 pm }

[…] Keitt mango cubed (or 1 regular mango cubed) 1 cup coconut kefir 1 pinch of white stevia powder or sweetener of choice handful of […]

5 Cecilia's Everyday Raw Food Blended Soup | Raw Glow Blog { 05.03.10 at 12:58 pm }

[…] veggies, squash, brown rice or quinoa and sometimes not. Dessert usually consists of some coconut kefir sweetend with some flavored stevia. Throughout the day I munch on carrots and apples. That’s […]

6 Sasha { 05.04.10 at 4:18 pm }

I am quite new to this. Could I use coconut water drink, It does have some sugar added to it and chunks of coconut in it. Or how about the cans of coconut milk-the thicker mik?

7 Cecilia { 05.04.10 at 7:25 pm }

Hi Sasha,

Yes you could use bottled/tetra packed coconut water or canned coconut milk, even better if you can find bottled coconut milk instead. Another option is to buy already made Coconut Kefir from Turtle Mountain or buy the young coconuts yourself and use the water and meat to make your own coconut kefir. Experiment and have fun!- Cecilia

8 Sasha { 05.04.10 at 11:18 pm }

9 Cecilia { 05.05.10 at 2:25 am }

Hi Sasha,

10 Roxanne { 05.16.10 at 5:27 pm }

I made the kefir, and it is separated…did I do something wrong? The meat is on the top and the milk is on the bottom.
I did extactly what I was told, I used a wooden spoon, and I set it in the window on a sunny day for 30 hours. Please help me someone…

11 Cecilia { 05.16.10 at 5:52 pm }

Hi Roxanne,
Next time make sure to use a sterilized metal spoon. Some seperation is normal, if it smells sour and is white not pink or purple it should be fine. Just mix it with a spoon or blend it the blender and enjoy.
-C

12 Learn about probiotics { 02.20.11 at 5:57 am }

While it is true that probiotic yogurts seem to ease some digestive ills in many people, they are not a cure-all for digestion. While all yogurts seem to be somewhat beneficial, studies are incomplete as to probiotic properties. Some have high levels of sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar. And some still cause incidences of yeast infections in women. Overall, the total health benefits of good bacteria in yogurt have yet to be determined.

13 Micoliver { 04.20.11 at 6:25 pm }

Science is never going to determine everything. In the meantime, why not instead start slowly, experiment with good stuff and try to tune into how your body responds? Leaning on science has led me through a lot of confusing info. Instead, I find it happier to have some faith, keep my awareness and stay in touch with how things actually feel, not how I’m told they should feel.

14 Closer Look: Kefir — Madindy { 05.13.11 at 4:47 pm }
15 Heather { 05.31.11 at 3:07 am }

I made kefir with 2 young green coconuts.  I heated the coconut water above 90 (not sure of exact temp, but it was warm to the touch).  After 48 hours the flavor seems correct (since i have purchased CocoKefir), however, it wasn’t bubbly tasting.  There was bubbles on the top, and there was pressure when I opened the container.  I am ready to make a new batch, but i am wondering if I need to start with a new kefir starter packet (from Body Ecology) ?  Was the liquid to hot and killed something?  What an expensive mistake since I wont get my 7 batches from one starter packet.

16 Cecilia { 07.27.11 at 1:32 am }

Good point, but getting a physical and blood test from your doctor once in awhile just to see if you are on the right track can be very helpful. But I do agree with you, we all have an inner guidance system inside of us to guide us through life.

17 Glorious Temple { 11.15.11 at 1:14 am }

If I may offer this insight for your Readers, since you seem to be sincerely into helping others with health issues and not just into making money?  THAT’s refreshing!!!

Have been using Kefir grains both water and milk.  Find them both delicious… you can eat the grains like gummy bears, give them away (2 TB is all that is needed as a starter and they multiply as they ferment) or put them in your compost pile, they are highly nutritious or store them in a sugar, Molasses type of sweetened water or plain milk in frig, respectively… similar to how you’d store a Kombucha Scoby in a sugar black Tea until ready to use, (keeps them from multiplying, but they do need to have extra sugar added every two weeks to the water grains and the milk changed out about once a month in the milk grains, just drain and refill and use the liquid in a recipe). Soy milk, coconut milk, Almond Milk ect can be used. And the Kefir can be used as you would milk. The water Grains take on the taste of the Molasses or type of sweetener used… the sweetener is what ferments it and breeds the probiotics. The grains can also be frozen or dehydrated I’ve been told. The water Kefir grains can have fresh ginger added, for example, to make Ginger Beer/Ale or any fruit juice to flavor… for nutrition purposes … lots of Recipes and LOADS of INFO at http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html (hope it’s ok to add this link).ALSO… the bubbles in the water Kefir shows the grains are still alive.  Add additional sweetener if the bubbles slow down to refresh them, or when you are storing them in frig or if the water get too sour. The milk grains will have separation and if you choose you can use the clear liquid (whey protein), in recipes as a substitute for water or milk (in dough for example) and in soups or gravy ect. and the top part in a smoothie, just save 2 TB of grains for the next batch in both cases. The whey protein can be used to make a variety of nutritious cheese and smoothies… and is cheaper than buying the powder type… the whey can probably be frozen too… have not researched that LOL.

18 liquid minerals and vitamins { 12.05.11 at 11:00 am }

This is a special form of liquid diet that is made out of fruits and fresh vegetables. The juice is made out of organic foods which are important in the process of body detoxification and healing of damaged tissues. Juice fasting can also be used as detox diet since it contains a lot fiber which helps the liver and kidney to eliminate toxic substances from the blood alongside prevention of constipation.

19 Cecilia { 01.18.12 at 6:06 pm }

Thank you for your tips. One thing I might add is that it is not recommended to eat the Kefir Grains straight.

~ Cecilia

20 Yaz { 08.28.12 at 5:58 pm }

How long does it last in the refrigerator? Thank you! :)