Cecilia’s Raw Coconut Cream Pie Recipe

coconutcreampie

-This recipe is modified from the I Am Grateful: Recipes and Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitudeé Gratitude Cookbook

This is my all time favorite raw dessert!

coconutgraterCrust:

2 and ½ cups dry coconut flakes (If you can, make your own. I use a grater pictured to the left)
1 vanilla bean seeds scooped out
½ cup well packed finely chopped dates
1 tablespoon coconut butter or oil (optional)

Put everything except the dates in the food processor with the S-blade on and add the dates slowly until the crust sticks together. Press crust into a coconut butter greased, 9 inch pie pan.

Filling

2 cups young coconut meat (about 4 young coconuts)
1 cup young coconut water
3 tablespoons non gmo soy lecithin granules
¼ cup Artisana Coconut Butter
¼ cup coconut oil (I like Nutiva Brand)
1 tablespoon soaked and chopped Irish moss (optional)
1 vanilla bean seeds scooped out
1 cup dates soaked

Blend the Irish moss with the coconut water in the blender until smooth. Then add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into the pie crust and let set in the fridge or freezer for at least one hour.

Optional Garnish

Banana Lime Sauce
(Darell whipped this one up)
Blend a banana in the blender with juice from ½ lime and pour on top of the pie
and or
¾ cup dry coconut flakes to sprinkle on top of the pie

Notes

Question of The Day:
What is your favorite raw dessert? If possible, post the recipe below in the comments section.

1 Raw Union Raw Food Festival Part 2 | Raw Glow Blog { 06.28.09 at 3:44 pm }

[…] Then it was time for dessert! Not only could we try a piece of the lemon coconut wedding cake, but there was a raw chocolate layer cake, coconut cream pie, and, a chocolate pudding! My favorite was the coconut cream pie, it was the same recipe as Café Gratitude’s and I think that might be my all time favorite raw dessert. I do my own twist on it, and I’ll have to post the recipe soon. […]

2 Daniel { 06.29.09 at 3:13 pm }

This is a great recipe Cecilia! I have been following your recipes for a few years now and am really excited about the blog. Thanks and may fortune and great things abound you in the future

3 Cecilia { 06.29.09 at 3:49 pm }

Hi Daniel,
You are my first poster on my new blog. Thanks! I'm excited about my blog too, can't wait to post more recipes and I hope others do as well to keep the inspiration flowing. May great things abound u as well.

4 Top Chef Master Features Vegan Cuisine | Raw Glow Blog { 08.06.09 at 7:28 pm }

[…] that!) If only Art had known a few raw food dessert recipes he would have surely won! A luscious raw coconut crème pie or raw cashew cheesecake and everyone would’ve been singing his […]

5 ckelston { 09.04.09 at 5:09 am }

This recipe looks great. I often come to your blog for ideas and recipes. Thank you for sharing. Wish you all the best planning your wedding.

6 Cecilia { 09.04.09 at 1:07 pm }

Thanks! I especially like this recipe because it uses no nuts, and I love the taste. Wishing you all the best as well.

7 run4raw { 09.05.09 at 7:02 am }

Hi Cecilia I would like to know where did u get grater for coconut to make flake. I would like to order one thank you… raw4run

8 Cecilia { 09.05.09 at 4:56 pm }

Hi run4raw,
Let me get back to you on that one. I got it from a friend who no longer sells them. I will keep you updated if I find a new source.

9 indigo_c { 09.12.09 at 12:08 pm }

I love your blog. The recipes are great, as is all the information packed in here. You're truly amazing and awe-inspiring! xo

10 Cecilia { 09.15.09 at 12:38 pm }

Awwwwwwwwww! Thanks Indigo:)

11 VEGGIEIB { 09.21.09 at 12:30 pm }

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT TABLE MOUNTED COCONUT GRATER? WHAT IS THE COST?
THANKS

12 run4raw { 09.22.09 at 5:52 am }

Hi anyone know where do I purchase raw carrageenan? I really need this very soon. Thank you…

13 Cecilia { 09.23.09 at 11:13 am }
14 Cecilia { 09.23.09 at 11:14 am }

It was a gift and I haven't been able to find it anywhere, I'll let you know if I find a source for them-C

15 wellnesswithrose { 11.19.09 at 11:23 pm }

I just found this awesome raw recipe from nutritionals Rose Cole for an eggnog substitute. I can’t believe how good it is, and it’s sugar-free, dairy-free, and RAW! http://ow.ly/BN0C Just thought I would pass it on.

16 wellnesswithrose { 11.20.09 at 6:23 am }

17 Raw Food Recipe { 06.22.11 at 7:57 am }

I love dessert and I am looking forward to try on making this recipe. I am into raw foods because I believe that it is beneficial to our body. Raw foods are not only nutritious but also tasty. All we need is the right ingredient coupled with the best preparation.

18 KelliB { 03.24.12 at 10:51 pm }

Very good! Instead
of young Thai coconuts, which are soaked in toxic preservatives, I used white coconuts I found at a Mexican market. White coconuts look like
the mature brown hairy coconuts except the meat is younger/softer and,
obviously, the outside is white. Instead of dates in the filling, I used
SweetLeaf brand stevia to taste, and I also added a pinch of Himalayan
pink salt to the crust ingredients. I used Irish moss powder instead of
the dried whole Irish moss and vanilla extract instead of the vanilla
bean.